Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Couch Potato Syndrome

              Lately, I don't feel like doing anything, by anything I mean exercising. I have my moments when Hailey is awake that I think, "When she goes down for a nap, I am totally going to work out." Do I actually carry this thought out? NO. Later comes the guilt after the day is over and I think "I really should have did a quick 30 minutes of exercise."
            Last Monday, I did attempt a 30 minute kickboxing workout, but this resulted in me back kicking my ankle into my coffee table and rolling on the floor with silent tears and explanatives trying to escape from my mouth while Hailey was napping in her room. Complete and utter failure at my first attempt of getting the exercise ball rolling. I'd have to say this is pretty typical of me, I am completely a klutz.  Have I mentioned that I have really weak ankles? No, seriously, for real! It runs in my family, you can ask my mom and grandma, they have them too! Despite this part of my genetic make-up that I cannot ignore, I usually have motivation in abundance to exercise (This was BEFORE Hailey).
         I have lost 45 pounds since having Hailey, but I still have about 40 pounds to go. I wasn't at an ideal or healthy weight when I got pregnant. So Woo! Go me! I've lost my pregnancy weight! But....(I hate that BUT) I still have more to lose. DAMN!
        Between taking care of Hailey, doing my schoolwork, and trying to keep up with the house chores, when I have a spare moment I tend to sit mindlessly on the couch while the Sprout channel plays on in the background and Hailey is pulling out my hair and placing slobbery hands all over my face. I know, I have just provided you with a great mental image.  Another great mental image is imagining yourself as a potato when you look in the mirror. This has happened to me, but it was during a moment late at night and exhaustion was taking over.
        I think one reason for my lack of motivation to exercise has to do with the fact that I am okay with myself now. Keyword being "now". I have a "mom bod,"anyone looking at me can tell I had a baby and that it was fairly recently. I don't want to be one of those women who feel bad when they look at their bodies post pregnancy. After all, my body produced the most wonderful gift in the world, my daughter. Yes, I am larger than I might want to be, I have stretch marks on my stomach and legs, and my hair is falling out; but this is all okay. It is and was all worth it because I have a beautiful little girl to love and care for each and every day for the rest of my life. 
       Eventually my body will get back to an ideal weight; it may take me a few months or perhaps a couple of years. I am not in any rush. I want to be healthy. I can be healthy by managing to work out a couple of times a week and eating well. I don't feel pressured by my husband, he looks at me like I am the most beautiful woman he has ever seen. He feels what other's may view as "flaws" as beautiful attributes.
       Mothers, be happy with yourself. You have done something amazing, you created a life! Take your time and don't feel upset when the weight is not coming off as fast as you would like. If you have a goal to achieve, it will be achieved over time.Don't feel bad when you have a moment to yourself that you aren't using it to exercise. Love yourself at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment